Tuesday, November 16, 2004

It had to happen sooner or later

I'm an on-off smoker. I find it easy enough to stay off them until I go down the pub. Drinking without cigarettes is something I've just never been able to do, indeed, something I have never done. They have always been together in my life. For this reason, I actually welcome this, announced by the government today. I'm not alone, either. A lot of my friends who smoke are of the same opinion: if they couldn't, they just wouldn't, and would be forced to quit. Some quarters are saying this is the "nanny state" in action, and I suppose in a way it is, but no more than legally requiring drivers to wear a seatbelt, or motorcyclists to wear a crash-helmet. The fact is, cigarettes are lethal and the tobacco companies are little better than the Nazis, so I, even as a confirmed smoker of some thirteen years, welcome this ban. If anything, I wish it were being brought in sooner.